Many of the products we use in our homes to clean and disinfect contain harmful chemicals that can cause health problems - even products advertised as green or natural may contain these sorts of ingredients. The EPA has indicated that our indoor air quality may be much worse than the outdoor due to the VOCs we are using in our homes or offices. These products that we are using to clean or disinfect may contain harmful chemicals that can cause health problems - even products advertised as green or natural may contain these sorts of ingredients. According to the American Lung Association:
"Many cleaning supplies or household products can irritate the eyes or throat, or cause headaches and other health problems, including cancer. Some products release dangerous chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Other harmful ingredients include ammonia and bleach. Even natural fragrances such as citrus can react to produce dangerous pollutants indoors."
VOCs and other chemicals released when using cleaning supplies contribute to chronic respiratory problems, allergic reactions and headaches. Studies are underway to assess how these chemicals affect people who have asthma and other respiratory illnesses. Cleaning supplies and household products containing VOCs and other toxic substances can include, but are not limited to:
- Aerosol spray products, including health, beauty and cleaning products
- Air fresheners
- Chlorine bleach
- Detergent and dishwashing liquid
- Dry cleaning chemicals
- Rug and upholstery cleaners
- Furniture and floor polish
- Oven cleaners
When cleaning and disinfecting your home, you should:
- Never attempt to do it all at once. Why? Because if you use a large amount of cleaners and disinfectants at one time, you are allowing too many chemicals to roam freely around your home. To keep yourself and your family safe, clean or disinfect one section of your house at a time and ensure that you keep the area well ventilated.
- Ventilate your home while cleaning: Open your windows if possible and all doors
- Always read the instructions before using. For example many disinfectants require a dwell time from 1 to 10-minute dwell-time to reach the 99.9% or 99.99% kill rate of bacteria and viruses (germs) that are described on the label. Dwell-time means that the disinfecting chemical has to remain in contact (wet) with the surface being disinfected for the entire time specified on the back of the label to be completely effective.
- Whenever possible, choose products that have low or no VOCs by reading the label prior to purchasing
- Never mix cleaning products because they may have a chemical reaction releasing harmful VOCs into the air. Mixing bleach with ammonia creates a toxic gas that can kill.
For your carpet cleaning service needs, Zerorez New Mexico is here to help! We are taking extra precautions to ensure your safety during this time.
- Washing hands regularly
- Disinfecting equipment regularly
- Staying home when they are not feeling well
- Wearing a mask at each job
- Practice social distancing, as appropriate
In addition, Zerorez New Mexico uses cleaning products with low or no VOCs, giving each customer peace of mind that we will not contribute dangerous VOCs. We can apply disinfectant to hard surfaces or "high touch" surfaces including door handles, faucets, light switches, etc. When disinfecting these we use a disinfectant that is on the EPA register and we follow the label including the appropriate dwell time.